I Love Me Some Larry Tan

This is where I go to swear and rant. I encourage you to do the sam.e

The Vatican

Okay - let me just say from the get-go that I'm going to do a rant about Catholic church. It doesn't mean I'm going to leave it and it doesn't mean that I think there's something wrong or idiotic about being Catholic. (I just had to say that because I've heard far too many 'why are you part of that god-awful church' comments in my life.) The church is like my family. I really get pissed with it, but I ain't going to leave.

Having said that: this is another reason my church sucks.

The Vatican has decided that homosexuals can no longer be priests - EVEN IF THEY ARE CELIBATE.

Wait one moment....what was all this 'love the sinner hate the sin' stuff you've been feeding us for years. What was all this 'homosexuality is a lifestyle choice' nonsense you've been spouting off?

If you say that you are going to exclude someone, not because they engage in homosexual acts, but rather that they have a pre-disposition to having sex with men....then you're saying it's NOT a choice.

Dear pope - if you had any idea what I had a pre-disposition to do, but don't - well you might as well ex-communicate me now.

This pisses me off.

Especially since I've known such wonderful, truly caring priests who I suspect are gay.

So throw out some of the biggests assests to your organization? (Cause, btw, this is move is retro-active. Bye-bye Father Bob!)

The biggest change I'd like to see to the Catholic church is for the men to share the power. Let the chicks take over for awhile and you can sit at the back of the buss for the next, say...2,000 years.

New Orleans.
As promised here are my thoughts on New Orleans.

Originally, I was going to do the 'Why the hell are all the stranded people black?' rant. Unfortunately, or rather, fortunately, that rant has been expressed a million times over in the media.

As my husband said as we watched all those left behind, 'Aren't there any white people in New Orleans?'

I totally agree with Kayne West: George Bush does not care about black people.

Now, I could argue that it isn't black people, but rather poor people he doesn't care about. But the fact that it seems, at least in N.O., that 90% of the poor people are black - there just has to be some established racism behind it.

I just need at some point, some politician - or even - gasp- Dubya himself, should say, 'Wait, why are so many poor people black? Is there something wrong with the distribution of wealth in this country?'

That's the smallest amount it would take for me to have my faith restored. Acknowledge the G.D. problem!

Inaction can be just as racist as action.

Cause honestly, if you don't acknowledge that there's a problem with American economics - I can only conclude the worse. That you honestly believe everyone has equal opportunities and that black people just don't have whatever it takes to get ahead.

I always feel odd critizing the U.S., espcially as a Canadian (becuase it's national pasttime here). However, the thing is, I just see that the politicians in charge are destroying all the ideals that make the U.S. great. It IS supposed to be the land where anyone can become president.

Not just the sons of wealthy families.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

2:05 AM

Yeah we do a fair bit of yank bashing here too - and we're not perfect either! But you gotta be right - surely the disproportionare number of poor black people is obvious to anyone?

I have been visiting a lace knitting blogger recently and made some good comments etc etc and then whammo! she posts a blatantly RACIST and BIGOTED opinion about the situation in New Orleans. And suddenly, a flurry of 'good on you' comments from other knitbloggers - one even going so far as to criticize jesse jackson as being a radical trouble maker.

What do I do Glacia? Do I make my position known? Do I leave a negative comment? Billy Bragg once told me (oh, and the thousands of others in the venue) that if you don't say anything to a racist they think you agree with them and that is just as bad as being a racist.

Such a shame. Her knitting is so nice to look at.




I was out of my mind, I mean I cyber associated with this woman! And then,    



4:41 AM

I bet, if you make a comment (Think of it it more as a positive comment than negative.) that says I don't agree with this - you'd get a lot of people agreeing.

I remember watching this interview show with Ben Wicks once and he says how he had a dinner and one of the guests made an anti-semetic remark. Ben just said outright that that kind of speech was unacceptable in his house. I came away with this sense that if that EVER happened in my house I'd do the exact same thing.

Right?

Sure in theory, but in pratice, not so much.

We had a couple over for dinner once - didn't know them really but they had just moved to Canada and I thought it'd be nice to socialize with them.

Just before dinner is served the wife comes out with this truly god awful comment that I assume she thought would be cool because it was just us white people.

What happened? Well, initially Mr. Glacia and I were honestly too shocked to respond. In both our minds, we were, 'Did she just really say that? No, seriously, did she just fucking say that?'

Unfortunately, the rest of the dinner - at least on my part - was a case of just feeling so socially akward that I didn't say anything. Both the man and I were looking at each other praying that we could just get these people out of our home as quickly as possible.

As a couple we really regret that we didn't respond, that we didn't make some comment that this kind of attitude was not on in our home.

The thing that makes me feel a little guilter is that, with one exception, if anyone makes a comment about my religion or my husband's - I just tell them to fuck right off. At that point I think hurt just takes over.

Still...crazy lady from my dinner...if you're reading this...this is my 5 year retro-active response, 'Don't make racist comments in my house. or anywhere.'    



» Post a Comment